"Anyone can master one trade given enough time and dedication. It is mastering multiple skills that is a true accomplishment." (Leonardo da Vinci)
A few details about me
Hello and welcome! I am Christian. My passion is making things in general, and software in particular. I have an insatiable drive to be a defining part of projects which improve the world's quality of life.
I specialize - and have accumulated considerable experience - in software engineering, particularly the kind which sits closer to the hardware level (embedded apps).
I was born and educated in Romania where, besides engineering, I received additional training in arts, medicine, photography, military psychology, and chess. I started writing software at the age of 12, during the Romanian revolution against the communist regime.
In my work, I strive to achieve the quality that I'd personally expect from a product that I use in my everyday
My ultimate professional goal is to reach a convergence point where all the values of my ideal work environment meet: exciting work on a challenging and useful project, an extraordinary team, and generous compensation. I believe in traditional work relationships, based on mutual respect and trust, where you offer your best effort and unrestrained focus, and receive the company's best in return - good life balance, compensation, and career advance opportunities. I'm a big advocate of telecommuting, and have had outstanding results with it on numerous occasions.
I speak and write Romanian, English, and German at native speaker level, and have successfully completed commercial projects in all three.
In my private life, I'm happily married and have children. I enjoy having variety in my non-engineering activities: photography, woodworking, drawing, occasional cooking and baking, bike riding, home improvement and flying RC models. I love playing pool, ping pong, table football, and soccer. Whenever possible, I like to travel and reconnect with my origins in Romania and Germany.
"Learning never exhausts the mind." (Leonardo da Vinci)
- Technical Team Lead
- Software Architecture
- Software Development
- Embedded development, IoT
- Windows, Linux, Mac apps
- Mobile apps
- Web apps
- Linux and Windows scripting
- UI/UX design for apps and web
- PCB and mechanical design and prototyping
- Git, Gerrit, Jenkins infrastructure
- Server Setup and Administration
- Network Design and Administration
- SQL and Database Design
- Related interests Robotics RC/unmanned aviation 3D Vision Augmented and Virtual Reality AI learning
Education and Awards
- Bachelor's Degree (BSCS), 2000 "Politehnica" University Timișoara, Romania Major: Computer Science, Software and Hardware
- German High School Diploma, 1995 "N. Lenau" Theoretical German High School Mathematics/Physics special class (attended the full 15-year "N. Lenau" German school system)
- Officer Rank in the Romanian NATO Army, 2004 Officer Academy for Communications, IT and Electronic Warfare Sibiu, Romania
- English speaker's certificate, advanced level Soros IHLS in Timișoara, Romania
- German speaker's diploma (Sprachdiplom), highest level, 1995 Ministry of Culture Germany
- 4th place, ACM Eastern European Programming Contest, 1998 My team and I were ranked fourth at the Programming Contest for all Eastern Europe, organized by the Association for Computing Machinery
- 1st place, Local programming contests, 1992-1995 Achieved first places on several programming contests during high school, at local and state phases
"Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else." (Leonardo da Vinci)
Projects and Experience
- 04/2017 – present: Principal Application Engineer, Software Lead. Arm Inc, Austin, TX Part of the groundbreaking Reference Deployments Team, working on end-to-end secure IoT-to-cloud example deployments. Mechanical Engineering in Solidworks, rapid prototype production via 3D printing and in-house finishing, board and electronics design using Arm core MCUs, firmware application and libraries in C++ under MBED OS, cloud connectivity through Arm MBED Cloud, time series database deployment on Microsoft TSI and Amazon cloud services. Agile/Scrum project development.
- 09/2011 – 04/2017: Staff Software Engineer, Software Lead. Qualcomm Atheros, Austin, TX (via M&A of Bigfoot Networks). Linux firmware/embedded development for next generation Intelligent Gateways with StreamBoost dynamic QoS and data collection, using OpenWRT-based Linux. Technical lead and mentor for the team. Architected and developed StreamBoost internal messaging and several user space components (master controller, service state machine, REST API backend, flow management, bandwidth measurement, data persistence) and a sample code framework to accelerate new component development. Contributed major improvements in performance, stability, UI, and release quality. Lead the full documentation effort for StreamBoost. Designed company-wide software development workflow and cross-team interactions. Implemented kernel mode RED queue and VD/DRR scheduler. Developed distributed data processing tools in Python using Map/Reduce on DDFS. Implemented a multiple-repo Linux-based build system with web management. Engineering POC for any StreamBoost related topics from several major router OEMs (DLink, NetGear, Zyxel, TPLink). Co-architected board farm used for automated testing (now adopted by software development teams across the company). Minor contributions to OpenWRT upstream. Worked with the Qualcomm Linux team to provide support and Linux kernel networking and driver code for partner IoT device development (like the Google WiFi meshed network product).
- 06/2009 – 09/2011: Senior Software Engineer, Team Lead. Bigfoot Networks, Austin, TX Architected and developed main Windows application suite (using Visual C++ and Qt) to monitor and control the Linux-based RTOS running on the gaming NIC product line. Architect, Project/Team Lead for a successful standalone networking and performance monitoring application. Automated build process (Windows scripting and software), architected and engineered installers for main product line, device drivers and Windows services. Redesigned and implemented new revision control (using Git) and software repository infrastructure. Pioneered static link mode for Qt-based standalone tools. In charge of software maintenance and development for the entire Windows application line. Linux toolchain development for offline data processing.
- 09/2010 – 01/2011: Senior Software Engineer, Consultant. ClearOne, Austin, TX Implemented software biquadratic filter for digital networked speakers, using C. Lua proof of concept for an authenticated Internet radio (vTuner) client.
- 04/2010 – 10/2010: Senior Software Engineer, Consultant. BroadQue, Austin, TX Redesigned and implemented CoreCodec/Lua-based user interface foundation to improve and expand functionality and usability. Added offline (local media) UI functionality. Developed Lua-UI features.
- 09/2006 – 01/2009: Senior Software Engineer. NetStreams, Austin, TX Designed and implemented the audio subsystem (hardware drivers, data streaming and processing, input-to-network and network-to-speaker audio data paths) for the IP Video flagship product line. Redesigned the network synchronization module, with vast performance improvements. Added a debug and monitoring module to the system, to facilitate development and shorten its time. Contributed a template system for Lua-based integration of third party devices. Development for the system’s networked graphical user interface.
- 12/2000 – 09/2006: Software Architect, Design, Consulting. Self Employed Software projects in 3D graphics and architectural design (CAD), software security, hardware-based IP protection, data encryption, and communication. Responsible for project planning, quality specifications and resource management. Remotely maintained client’s corporate network with Linux and Windows servers. Designed corporate web sites.
- 02/2002 – 08/2005: Software Engineer, Network Administrator. A-Soft SRL, Romania (as part of Saratoga Group Romania) Continued the Linux/Network administrator position at Saratoga. Additionally, was assigned software projects for large clients such as Magnum Germany, Bosch, Voith and Volkswagen. Areas covered include industrial applications (sensor testing and monitoring), hardware interfacing, production cycle management and hardware component driver development.
- 10/1999 – 04/2001: Software Engineer. JF Polisoft SRL, Romania Engineering software projects in the 3D animation/graphics field. Also responsible for software testing and quality assurance of the developed projects.
- 04/1997 – 02/2002: Linux & Network Administrator. Saratoga Computer Networks, Romania Set up and maintained Internet backbone and access points; set up the nation-wide first laser network link; handled escalated customer support; designed, developed and deployed Linux database and software projects, to improve customer handling, improve security and Windows-Linux network connectivity, and automate system administration/monitoring and billing cycle.
- 08/1995 – 07/2000: Intern, Software Engineering. "Politehnica" University Timișoara, Romania Designed and implemented a windowed event-based UI system, to be used as a C++ library. Built a robotics subsystem to calculate possible moving paths based on environment mapping. Implemented the first version of an interactive OCR system used for handwriting. Architected and implemented a graphical network mapping tool supporting multiple device types and groups. Implemented a scheduling and management system for on-call staff distribution.
- 01/1991 – 07/1995: Programmer, Contracting. Schnell SRL, Romania Created a sorting application for the management of small user databases. Worked on various hardware design projects (layout of electrical interconnections and PCB). Developed a character printer driver for Motorola 68K processor machines, to provide Romanian alphabet compatibility.
"Greatness can be contagious, but first there must be contact." (TemitOpe Ibrahim)
"Infinite monkeys impractical. Looking for skilled developers." (actual job ad)
If you're looking for a formal resume or curriculum vitae, you've come to the right place. Please pick your preferred variant below.
- (English) Curriculum vitae (PDF)
- (English) Curriculum vitae (TXT)
- (German) Lebenslauf (PDF) [OFFLINE - being updated]
- (Romanian) Curriculum vitae (PDF) [OFFLINE - being updated]